Swami’s South India Yoga & Ayurveda Tour: 11-25 September 2023
Discover the Authentic and Incredible South India
Join us as we explore the enchanting world of South India, stepping off the beaten path and delving into the region’s rich cultural heritage, natural beauty, and diverse traditions. Embark on a once-in-a-lifetime journey through this captivating land, where each experience leaves you longing for more.
- Indulge in rejuvenating Ayurvedic treatments, Yoga, and cultural experiences at the Abad Turtle Ayurvedic Resort in Kerala, surrounded by picturesque tropical beaches.
- Explore the historic sites of Fort Cochin, including spice markets, Dutch Palace, Santa Cruz Basilica, and Chinese fishing nets.
- Cruise through serene backwaters on a luxury houseboat and discover the local tea and spice plantations of Periyar Wildlife Reserve.
- Visit ancient cities like Madurai and Trichy, with tours of the Meenakshi Temple and Rock Fort Temple.
- Explore the unique township of Auroville in Pondicherry, and admire the UNESCO World Heritage-listed shore temples in Mahabalipuram.
Day 1 – 6
Australia – Abad Turtle Ayurvedic Resort, Marari Beach, Kerala
Our first destination will be an Ayurvedic Resort in Kerala (regarded as one of the 50 best “must see destinations” in the world by National Geographic Traveler Magazine). Surrounded by beautiful tropical beaches and nourished by 1-2 hours of Ayurvedic treatments, Yoga and cultural experiences it is the perfect way to start our adventure.
Our stay at the Ayurvedic Resort will include:
- Traditional welcome with Aarti and fresh coconut.
- Consultation on arrival with Ayurvedic Doctors to determine the state of your body and what type of Ayurvedic treatment and diet is required to bring your body doshas back into natural healthy balance.
- Daily personalised 1-2hr Ayurvedic treatments and medicines
- Daily Yoga & Meditation.
- Healthy Ayurvedic meals specially designed to be natural medicine for your body.
- Indian cooking demonstrations.
- During our stay we will also have optional sightseeing trips including:
- Fort Cochin – visiting the spice markets, Jew Street and Synagogue, Dutch Palace, Santa Cruz Basilica, St. Francis Church and Chinese fishing nets.
- Visit to Amma’s (the hugging saint) Ashram
- Kathakali traditional theatre show
- Shikara (Traditional canoe) ride in back waters
- Explore the fishing villages on a bicycle or take a dip in the sea
Luxury House Boat (Hotel: Heritage Kerala houseboat or similar)
Today we will board a traditional houseboat (Kettuvallam). We will be reclining on cushions as we drift through tranquil canals lined with lush coconut palms enjoying food that is specially prepared by our own chef. Overnight on the luxury houseboat.
Periyar Wildlife Reserve (Hotel: Green Forrest Resort or similar)
After we disembark the houseboat we will drive to Periyar. First we will visit a local tea and spice plantation with a fascinating explanation of how each is grown and their traditional medicinal properties.
Then at sunset, we will have a safari cruise around the lake to spot (if we’re lucky) wild elephants, Indian Gaur, monkeys, spotted and barking deer, and birds of myriad varieties.
Day 8 – 9
Madurai (Hotel: Heritage Madurai or similar)
This morning we will go on a morning trek to the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary with a forest guard.
Next we will have a tour of Madurai, one of India’s most ancient cities with a history dating back to the 6th century. Two thousand years ago, Madurai was the great capital of the Pandya Kings and a centre of Tamil culture. We will enjoy a visit to the Palace of Nayak Thirumala and, in the evening, we will witness the fascinating closing ceremony of the famous Meenakshi Temple.
Trichy (Hotel: Great Trails River view or similar)
Today we will visit the famous Rock Fort Temple of Trichy. This ancient pilgrimage site can be seen for miles around as it stands on top of a massive outcrop of rock, 83 meters high.
Pondicherry (Hotel: Le pondy Ayurvedic Resort or similar)
We have now crossed the Southern tip of India and arrived at the beautiful seaside town (former French colony) of Pondicherry. We will begin our tour in Auroville. Founded in 1958, Auroville is a township devised as an experiment in human unity. It now has 50,000 residents of different nationalities and is a must-see for being the only township of its kind in the world. In the afternoon we will visit Sri Aurobindo Ashram, the Botanical Gardens, churches and museums.
In the morning we will have a tour of Mahabalipuram, the 7th century AD city. Legend has it that the name Mahabalipuram came from the name of the demon Mahabali who was defeated by Lord Vishnu. Famed for its UNESCO World Heritage listed exquisitely chiseled shore temples along the coast; its sculptures are a blend of mythology, epics and everyday life.
After breakfast, we have a tour of Chennai – the Capital of Tamil Nadu. The city has a long beach with a wide stretch of Golden Sand from the Bay of Bengal. In the evening, we will transfer to Chennai International Airport for the trip home full of happy memories. Arrive home the next day.
Date: 11-25 SEPTEMBER 2023
Itinerary: Cochin (Kerala), Periyar Wildlife Reserve, Madurai, Trichy, Pondicherry, Mahabalipuram and Chennai
Activities: Yoga, meditation & Ayurveda treatments during our stay at the Ayurvedic resort, sightseeing and much more.
– Transfers, sightseeing tours, excursion by air conditioned deluxe coach.
– Services of local English speaking guides during sightseeing tours.
– 5 nights Rejuvenation Therapy Program at Ayurvedic Resort including treatments. Includes twin share accommodation, meals, Rejuvenation Therapy Program treatments,cultural and sightseeing program.
– Accommodation is twin share with breakfast. (NB All meals included at Ayurvedic Resort)
– Single rooms are available for AU $998 extra.
– Airfares – I will recommend a travel agent to assist in arranging your flights. (Approx $1000-1200)
– Items of a personal nature; Eg – laundry, telephone bills, drinks, camera fees, souvenirs and tipping etc.
– Meals other than mentioned above.
– Entrance fees to sights and monuments.
– Travel Insurance.
– Visa fees. A Visa is required to visit India.
Price: AUD 2998 incl. shared accomodation, transfers, sightseeing and accommodation with breakfast. All meals included at Ayurvedic Resort & Houseboat. Single room supplement is $998. For Terms & Conditions please click here.
We would be delighted to give you additional information about the journey so please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to help!
Yours in Yoga,
Sanjay & Swami team